OJ out after serving 9 years in the Big House.

Former football legend O.J. Simpson became a free man Sunday after serving nine years for a botched hotel room heist in Las Vegas.

Simpson was released at 12:08 a.m. PT from Lovelock Correctional Center in northern Nevada, state prisons spokeswoman Brooke Keast told The Associated Press. She said she did not know the driver who met Simpson upon his release and didn't know where Simpson was immediately headed in his first hours of freedom.

"I don't have any information on where he's going," said Keast, who watched as Simpson signed documents and was let go. Her department released video on social media of Simpson being told to "come on out" by a prison staffer, exiting through an open door. He could be seen responding "OK" as he left, wearing a ball cap, denim jacket, jeans and white tennis shoes.

Simpson attorney Malcolm Lavergne said Simpson's immediate plans were to "reacclimate to normal life ... enjoying the very simple pleasures ... having good food, enjoying time with family, friends, catching up on technology, trying to get through all of that, wearing regular clothes again."

Lavergne, speaking in an interview with SportsCenter, also said Simpson has no immediate plans to talk to media.

Lavergne confirmed that Simpson is still in Nevada but would not specify where. He said he was not the person who picked Simpson up.

Tom Scotto, a close friend of Simpson's who lives in Naples, Florida, said by text message that he was with Simpson following his release. Scotto didn't respond to questions about where they were going or whether Simpson's sister, Shirley Baker of Sacramento, California, or his daughter, Arnelle Simpson of Fresno, California, were with him.

The three attended Simpson's parole hearing in July at the prison where Simpson spent his term and was released just minutes into the first day a parole board set for his possible release.

State Parole and Probation Capt. Shawn Arruti, who has been handling Simpson's case, said in a news release that instead of requiring him to promptly report to a parole field office, the procedure was handled before his release "in the interest of public safety and to protect the privacy interests of those who use the Division of Parole and Probation's facilities, as well as to protect the safety and privacy interests of Mr. Simpson."

Simpson has said he wants to move back to Florida, where he lived before his armed robbery conviction in Las Vegas in a September 2007 confrontation with two sports memorabilia dealers.

Stacy Adams Generic 300x250

Florida's Corrections Department said Sunday that it has not received a request to oversee Simpson's parole. The department "has not received any transfer paperwork from Nevada,'' Corrections department spokeswoman Ashley Cook said.

Keast said the dead-of-night release from the prison, about 90 miles east of Reno, Nevada, was conducted to avoid media attention.

"We needed to do this to ensure public safety and to avoid any possible incident," Keast added, speaking by telephone. She spoke from Lovelock, where she said she witnessed Simpson signing documents to be released.